Just a few tidbits of personal observations. Mostly to give my Sis something to read since she checks in frequently..LOL.
Any emails to us are appreciated, Eddie smiles when I read them to him (mail from home, right?). Reminds me that I need to send more to nephew Eli who is deployed with the Army... I'm sure he likes to hear from home too. Hope Rosie gave him the blog address so he will have something to while away the hours there. Eddie says I write just like I talk (minus a few colorful words when I get frustrated), and probably with an good ole Oklahoma drawl too.
First, I get such a chuckle when I log into blogspot here. The websites come up in German. Guess what the block for "email address" is called in German? Nutzername ! I find that hilarious, like they knew I was coming. I might get a t-shirt made that has
Nutzername = okla_meemaw
imprinted on the front. My private joke.
Then for those other old folks out there (like me and Eddie) who don't text on cellphones. BTW does not stand for Booker T. Washington High School (where he attended many moons ago). You should have seen the puzzled look on his face when he pointed at that!! It's texting shorthand for By The Way. I'm blessed to have lots of younguns (that's anyone under 40 for me) who answer my ignorant questions (and I have a million of them), and they keep me up-to-date. I think it keeps one young to be around younguns, as long as you keep an open mind! And I can text too, just very slowly. I always say you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, you just have to speak very, very slowly and be repetitive...LOL (and BTW, that stands for Laughing out Loud).
Second, one of the great challenges here is the small hotel room. Think Motel 6 size. It's very clean and looks newly renovated though. The toilet flusher is really different, but we figured that out right away. And for some reason, they don't provide washcloths but I'd read that online so packed some with us. As a matter of fact, I packed so much "stuff" there wasn't much room left for clothes. The room size is a challenge because the wheelchair and walker stay here with us. Then there is a desk, small table and two chairs as well. We're used to 2.5 bathrooms too. So we work around the room like a maze (keeps the mind sharp, like working a puzzle). Move the walker to get to the desk, move the wheelchair to get to the bathroom on the walker, move the luggage to get to the bed. Everyone ought to try it, good exercise too....LOL
Third, there are only two english-speaking channels on TV. CNN (which mr. conservative news guy Eddie doesn't like, he wants FOX) and the BBC news. Eddie is probably suffering from withdrawal symptoms because of no talk radio, but once again, he'll have to suffer through. I don't think it will leave a permanent scar.
Fourth, our first-born Grandson Corey can get extra credit with his Science teacher if he submits an interesting report on a science topic. I figure he can't miss. A 12-yr old writing about stem cell therapy has got to be a winner, right? So I'm saving the pictures of the procedure for his teacher too. Also bringing back a set of their coin currency for show-and-tell. I don't think the youngest Grands will grasp the significance of the trip but I'm saving coins for them too.
Fifth, to my smartie pants son. Quit making fun of your Mama's typos ... I'm struggling here on an unfamilair laptop. Be kind to your Mama, she taught you better.....LOL
Sixth, to Dr. B at MDA (if you are checking in) and Cousin Dr. David .... if you have any questions you want me to ask Dr. John about the procedure, just let me know. I am not shy, though the language barrier makes my questions, possibly, not understood well. I really don't know if this stuff works or not. It appears it may have some affect, if only for a short period of time (unless it's all in the patient's mind). All I know is, they should do it in the U.S. if only to allow our doctors to make the boatload of money that's being spent abroad! If I met three other patients in the two hours we were there, and they had already done 8 procedures...Holy Cow, we could pay off the government deficit in record time! I repeat again, selling hope is big business. (Sorry kids, but Daddy's spending your 'inheritance'!)
Those close to me know that I was completely against this trip. I have no confidence in stem cell therapy at this stage of it's development...though it will be a miracle cure for many diseases one day, I'm sure. But, if I had refused to bring Eddie here and his condition worsened, he would always blame me for not allowing him the opportunity to find out if it would help his ALS. And I couldn't live with that. So I sucked it up and got moving. Kind of like taking the trash to the curb or doing laundry... it's not something I relish, but it needs to be done anyway.
Seventh, German Dr. John does have a sense of humor. I asked if they had filmed a video of the procedure that I could refer people to (like UTube). He told us the story of their attempt to film a educational video, with his wife as the patient. The actual procedure, mind you, on film. He promised her it wouldn't hurt... but apparently it did (and does in about 10% of people). She told him it hurt, he told her.... not possible. She said, that's my ass and I know when it hurts! Needless to say the film was not as educational as they planned so they don't have it available for distribution. It was so funny!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment