Friday, October 16, 2009

Made it to Chicago

Greetings from Chicago O'Hare, compliments of United's awesome Red Carpet Lounge. Apparently Luftstansa "borrows" space from United, and we can use their lounge due to the Lufstansa Business class. Unfortunately, it's 8 pm now and I just figured out how to get on the WiFi. O'Hare touts free WiFi anywhere. But, apparently it's blocked in the lounge since their Red Carpet folks all use a special TMobile WiFi. The host here just granted me a one day pass (actually about one hour now!) so I could get online and check in with everyone.
Coming out of Tulsa was somewhat uneventful. Great flight, good lunch, wonderful warm oatmeal cookies (Eddie loved them). I'll have time to go on and on when we finally get to the hotel in Germany, but trying to make it quick here.

I failed to update our itinerary about NOT spending the night in Chicago. A few got a bit of a panic. We did not fly out on the 15th and spend the night, but flew out on the 16th (today) and have spent the entire day here.

AA in Tulsa loaded Eddie first. It was an anxious moment for me because we had to move him from his wheelchair to this tiny, rickety onboard wheelchair. The seat was about the size of a dinner plate, and it was not a smooth ride. They did strap him in well, and we got him through the door. Due to the contractures in his feet, they wouldn't fit on the foot rest, so had to manuever that around. Sooo .. we were in the first seat on the plane, that was a good thing.
I actually lifted him from the seated position, while he pushed against the armrests, and I got him in an somewhat upright postion with a little muscle... he slid one foot over...kind of sidestepped, I had them slide the tiny chair under him and they strapped him in. It wasn't quite as easy to get him into the seat since the arm didn't lift out of the way, but again, a bit of muscle (I'm talking old lady muscle...LOL), and we got him pivoted into the seat.

Unfortunately, Lufthansa says he will have to use that onboard wheelchair again on their plane... and we are on row 18! Oh well, once he's strapped in and lugged about, a few more rows shouldn't matter.

We've been hanging aroung O'Hare for several hours now. I think I've walked about 10 miles today (kidding, but I bet I've walked two or three, easy). Since this is such a large plane (Airbus 330) they will pre-board early. I'm expecting to get onboard by 8pm, and we should both be snoring by the time we hit 35,000'. He's pooped now too, but being a good sport.

I swear we've done nothing but eat since we left home this morning. Eddie wanted a burger from a place here at the airport so we loaded up on that too. Hopefully, I can walk it off on this trip.

Don't worry about us, unless I tell you to, okay? It may be a day or so until I can get enough sleep, figure out this WiFi stuff and get back online. Otherwise, we've still got a sense of humor, and I'm still walking upright, so we are doing well.
Love to all! Thanks for the prayers...keep em coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment