Oh we don't just tell the stories, we live them! So there we were in the Red Carpet Lounge at O'Hare Airport. We had been there off and on for 6 hrs, helping ourselves to the free snacks and beverages. This is mostly business people (frequent flyers?) and those who fly Business or First Class often. Picture a very subdued atmosphere, people hunched over laptops, CNN or sports turned down discretely so as not to disturb others. And then there is us!
Like I said earlier, we found there was a mens and ladies restroom in the lounge, plus a unisex... single restroom, handicapped accessible, lock on the door. A blessing. It was the second time I helped Eddie to the restroom, got him situated on the toilet, then stepped out and "guarded" the unlocked door (so he could have some privacy). But this was the final stop before we left for our gate and departure, only two hours away from leaving Chi in our rear view mirror (one hour before pre-boarding)...off to see the Wizard. And, somehow, I locked the bathroom door when I wnt out! Eddie inside on the toilet, can't reach the doorknob, can't get into the wheelchair without assistance, and I kind of freaked out. I don't think I caused a huge scene...that was all playing out in my head. But I did raise my voice to let him know it was okay and I'd get "help".
I went to the host/hostess/bouncer desk and waited for them to end their discussion with a "real" member of the Red Carpet Club. Couldn''t stand the wait, so when and found someone who would interrupt the conversation. Trying to make them understand, yes he was in there, no he couldn't unlock the door for me, etc, etc. Then their master key wouldn't release the lock. I pictured lazy, slow moving, maintenance guys (late on a Friday night) making their way over to drill the lock and me watching our plane fly away! Luckily, the hostess came around with the same key they had tried earlier.... and it worked!!
I'm serious when I say I did not accidently lock that door... it would almost be impossible to do it on purpose...so I think the lock malfunctioned. Eddie was sitting there unconcerned, and I was ready to lie down somewhere...anywhere and wait for the adrenaline (ms) to wear off!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment