I've had several friends tell me how proud they are of me, and the way I handled the trip to Germany with Eddie. I was a little confused because I just did what needed to be done at the time. But, thinking about it... I guess I am proud. Eddie is too. And he told me "you did good, Patti" ...LOL
Our daughter and son-in-law recently returned from a (late) honeymoon trip to the Florida Keys area. There they visited the Ernest Hemingway home and we were discussing which books he had written. I mentioned this to my boss and he was browsing the web looking for a list of Hemingway works, but found Hemingway quotes instead. (You'll see how this ties together in a minute)
So during the discussion I told my boss that, now that we were home, and with 20/20 hindsight, I should have been scared out of my wits taking that long trip with Eddie so disabled, and everything that could have gone wrong. He told me about a Hemingway quote he found online, "Cowardice ... is almost always simply a lack of ability to suspend functioning of imagination", so I guess courage is just the opposite.... to suspend functioning of the imagination. And that's basically what I did, without knowing it. When one worries, it's always about things that might happen .. thus the imagination part. I tried to allow for most of the contingencies of travel before we left. And refused, early on, to imagine anything happening that we couldn't deal with. So I don't know if that makes me courageous, or just ignorant. But, I like the quote either way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You did what you had to do for someone that you love. Ignorant? Never. Courageous? Probably. But, above all, I think it's REAL. Real love for another human being..unconditional, real love.
ReplyDelete